Floating is letting go of all of your senses…resting your body; exploring your mind and soul.
Floating is a way to pause the hectic, saturated world and enter a state of deep mental and physical relaxation. By giving yourself a break from the endless input of sensory experiences, your mind has a chance to recharge, rest, and emerge to face the world with renewed perspective and energy.
Otherwise known as floatation-REST (restricted environmental stimulation technique) or sensory deprivation, floating is backed by research and offers immense potential for personal growth and healing.
Whether you want a traditional enclosed tank or an open air, lidless experience, we have a float tank that’s perfect for you at The Float Shoppe.
Every experience with us includes a toasty hot foot bath and complementary herbal tea from Tea Chai Té in our beautiful old Portland house.
HOW IT WORKS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
BEFORE YOUR FLOAT
So, you’ve made an appointment and are preparing to come in for your float…What do you do? What do you bring? The short answer is: all you need to bring is yourself, and an excited and open mind for what’s to come. Please follow these few tips:
- We will provide you with everything you need, including a towel, shampoo, body wash, ear plugs, lotion, Q-tips, a hairdryer, and conditioner upon request. The only thing you might want to bring is a comb or a hairbrush.
- We recommend floating without a bathing suit. You will have an entirely private room with a shower…so if you choose to wear a bathing suit, nobody will know!
- Have a small meal an hour or two before your appointment.
- Avoid caffeine for at least a few hours before your float
- Don’t shave for at least 24 hours beforehand. (However, shaving your face is usually not a problem.)
- Show up a at least fifteen minutes early for your first float, or as early as you like thereafter, to receive and introduction to floating and relax in our lobby before your float. Peruse our books on floating and enjoy some complimentary tea.
- Parking is available for you in our small parking lot. Please feel free to park in the lot directly in front of The Float Shoppe, however, take care in pulling in as there is a steep incline that may scrape the bottom of some cars. If there are no spots, on-street parking is available throughout the neighborhood–however, at times hard to find.
- If you wear contacts, you may want to remove them before your float. If so, please bring lens solution and anything else you might need.